With the winter rolling in, we have lots of great, fresh vegetables to choose from. Two of our favorites are beets and arugula, and they compliment each other beautifully. We always like to keep it simple, so we came up with this great salad recipe.
- 1 beet
- 1 cup baby arugula
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- chevre or feta cheese (vegans replace nut cheese)
- freshly ground pepper
Roasting the beets:
1. Wash off any dirt and trim off green tops.
2. Put in an oven safe dish and pour enough olive oil to coat.
3. Massage the beet with your hands to make sure the beet is coated in olive oil.
4. Cover the oven safe dish with tin foil.
5. Bake for one hour at 375 degrees.
Take out of oven pierce with knife to check if it is done. Let cool. Then, rub the outside skins off with your fingers and trim the tops and bottoms. Sprinkle with salt and you are ready to use them!
Putting it together:
Toss the arugula with olive oil and a squeeze or two of lemon juice. Slice up your roasted beet and place on top of the arugula. Sprinkle on the feta or chevre, along with the ground pepper.
Thats it! A wonderfully simple recipe with some beautiful colors and great taste. Plus no sugar, no corn syrup, and its vegetarian. Hope you enjoy it too!